Monday, March 02, 2009

P2P Breach is just the Tip of the Iceberg

When news broke last week that sensitive data related to the president's Marine One helicopter had fallen into Iranian hands, I was interested. When I heard that the breach was related to peer-to-peer networking, my first thought was Tiversa. When I heard they were the ones who had uncovered the breach, I was not surprised.

I had the privilege of working with Tiversa last year through a Ponemon Institute study on the risks of P2P to data security and, while I can't disclose the specifics of our conversations, it's safe to say that this breach is just the tip of the iceberg. Folks just aren't aware of the security implications involved with opening up direct access to files on a computer operating P2P technology. Clearly, this level of ignorance is present at startlingly high levels of government and industry.

Apparently compromising national security is worth it for access to free music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home